1. ホーム
  2. 観光・文化
  3. Sightseeing ・Festival ・Events
  4. Historic Sites 名所・史跡の紹介

観光・文化

Historic Sites 名所・史跡の紹介

Tsuchiura, blessed with a rich natural environment, has been inhabited for many centuries. It has cultural assets, legendary places, the old Mito Kaido trunk road, and historical sites even along busy streets. Strolling along old streets and narrow alleyways, you can find traditional houses and relics of the old days.
  

Kijo Park(1-13, Chuo,Tsuchiura) 亀城公園

  

Established on the ruins of Tsuchiura Castle, which was built in the Muromachi period (1338-1573), Kijo Park is now a place to relax. The name Kijo refers to the turtle shape of the castle in its moat. The watchtower gate is the only one of its kind that remains in the Kanto region, and is the symbol of the park. The park’s 70-odd cherry trees create a beautiful harmony with the watchtower gate and the moat.

      

 

Tsuchiura City Museum (1-15-18, Chuo, Tsuchiura TEL: 029-824-2928)  土浦市立博物館

The Tsuchiura City Museum is built on the ruins of Tsuchiura Castle in Kijo Park. It presents the history of Tsuchiura, and holds special exhibitions on various themes related to the city’s history. Videos and computers allow children to enjoy learning.

      

 

Kamitakatsu Shell Midden (1843, Kamitakatsu, Tsuchiura TEL: 029-826-7111)   上高津貝塚ふるさと歴史の広場

This shell midden, or waste burial mound, dates back to the late Jomon Period (3000 years ago), and is the biggest of its kind in the Kasumigaura coastal area. From this mound, clay dolls, earthenware, and vases made of bone and horn have been excavated. Being well preserved, the mound is designated as a national historical site. The artifacts can be seen at the Archaeological Reference Museum adjacent to the mound.

      

 

Tsuchiura Machikado Kura (old town storehouse)  土浦まちかど「蔵」

The Tsuchiura Machikado Kura (stores) Daitoku and Nomura stand in the old castle town’s Nakajo Street, which has been the center of commerce in Tsuchiura since the Edo period. Developed as a post station along the old Mito Kaido trunk road, this area is lined with prefecturally designated temples, shrines, and cultural properties, which preserve the traditional Edo culture, together creating a historical landscape.

  

Tsuchiura Machikado Kura Daitoku (1-3-16, Chuo, Tsuchiura City: TEL: 029-824-2810) まちかど蔵「大徳」

Originally built in the late Edo period (1831) as a traditional kimono shop, the now renovated Daitoku sellls local products, displays historical materials, provides tourist information, exhibits folklore materials, and serves as a residents’ meeting spot.

  

Tsuchiura Machikado Kura Nomura (1-12-5, Chuo, Tsuchiura City: TEL: 029-822-0081) まちかど蔵「野村」

Built across the street from Daitoku between the late Edo and early Meiji periods (1873), Nomura displays folklore materials and serves as a residents’ meeting spot.

      

  

Komachi no Sato and Komachi no Yakata (491, Ono, Tsuchiura TEL: 029-862-1002)  小町の里・小町ふれあい広場

Legend holds that Onono Komachi, a great beauty and distinguished poet of the Heian period (794-1192), spent her last days in Ono. Komachi no Yakata has exhibitions, a traditional central household firepit, and a soba noodle restaurant, where you can make your own soba noodles (reservation necessary). The square outside also features a waterwheel and a farmers’ direct-sales store, providing a good place for drivers to take a break.

         小町体験館

 

Old Tsuchiura Junior High School (4-4-2, Manabe, Tsuchiura)   旧制土浦中学校本館

The main building of the Old Tsuchiura Junior High School, built in 1904, is one of the few wooden European-style buildings in Japan. It is now located in the campus of Tsuchiura First High School. The building is characterized by the Gothic architecture of its façade, which is rare in Japan, and is designated as a national important cultural property. The school buildings and cherry blossoms make a beautiful combination. Open to the public on the second Saturday of every month.
※The main building is under repair. It will resume in March 2018.

      

Ikubunkan School Main Gate (3-8, Bunkyo-cho, Tsuchiura) 郁文館正門

The Ikubunkan School was established by Hidenao Tsuchiya in 1799, the 7th lord of the Tsuchiura domain, for both academic and athletic training. After the Edo period ended, it became the Kaseikan School, then the Niihari Teachers’ School, and finally the Tsuchiura Branch School of the Ibaraki Teachers’ School. It was demolished, except for the Main Gate, in 1935. The Gate was restored to its original state in 1987.

   

 

Mushazuka Tumulus (Kamisakata, Tsuchiura武者塚古墳

This round tumulus dates from the late 7th century. Precious items such as human bones and hair (in the ancient Mizura hairstyle) have been excavated from it, and it produced the first bronze articles ever excavated in Japan, including an iron-handled ladle. These items are exhibited at the Archaeological Reference Museum and the Kamitakatsu Shell Midden.

      

 

Kiyotakiji Temple (1151, Ono, Tsuchiura清滝寺

This temple, apparently established in 706, is the 26th site of the 33 temples of the Bando pilgrimage. It is also called Kiyotaki Kannon.

      

  

Tojoji Temple (650, Tojoji, Tsuchiura東城寺

This temple was constructed by Saisen, a student of the famous monk Saicho, on the orders of Emperor Kanmu in 796. As you approach from the gate between rows of luxuriant trees, you get a panoramic view of the Kanto Plain. The temple first belonged to the Tendai School, but was transferred to the Shingon School in the early Kamakura period (1192-1333).

      

 

Hounji Temple (1890, Takaoka, Tsuchiura)   法雲寺

This temple was constructed by Haruhisa Oda, the lord of the Hitachi region, on the orders of Takauji Ashikaga, the first Shogun of the Muromachi Shogunate. It is laid out in castle style, and conserves many national and prefectural cultural assets.

   

 

The Copper Bell of the Tokakuji Temple (4-16, Otemachi, Tsuchiura等覚寺の銅鐘

Shogun Hidetada Tokugawa allegedly visited this temple in 1622. The bell is one of three ancient bells in the Hitachi region. It is engraved with the year of casting, the name of its promoter, Tomoie Hatta, who built Odawara Castle, and its name, and is designated as a national important cultural property.

   

 

The Copper Bell of the Hannya Temple (1461, Shishitsuka, Tsuchiura般若寺の銅鐘

This bell is one of three ancient bells in the Hitachi region. Its production was promoted by the monk Genkai, and it was cast by two famous artisans, Hisatomo Tanji and Shigenobu Chikado, in 1275. With its name carved on it, it is now a national important cultural property.

   

 

Yakushi Nyorai Statue, Jofukuji Temple (2-10-22, Shimotakatsu, Tsuchiura常福寺の薬師如来坐像

This statue of a seated Yakushi Nyorai (lord of medicine) at Jofukuji Temple, with a bottle of medicine on its hand, is said to have been made over 1000 years ago, and is a national important cultural property. The lord’s elegant features are characteristic of images of the Buddha in the Heian period (794-1192).

   

 

Yaguchi Family’s Residence (1-6-13, Chuo, Tsuchiura矢口家住宅

Located along the old Mito Kaido, this residence is a typical merchant’s house. The compound features the main residence with a storage house, and another storage house to hold shop goods. Designated as a prefectural cultural property, it reminds us of life in the Edo period.

 

Tomioka Family Residence (602, Shiratori-machi, Tsuchiura冨岡家住宅

This house, thought to have been built around the end of the 17th century, is a typical residence of a rich farmer. It is an excellent example of a traditional farmhouse with a big thatched roof. The feudal lord used to rest here when he toured his domain. Designated as a prefectural cultural property, it is still lived in.

 

Maeno Family Residence (694, Nagai, Tsuchiura前野家住宅

This house, built in 1806, was the residence of the village leader. Designated as a prefectural tangible cultural property, it is a typical farmhouse of the Edo period, and the record of its construction is preserved.

 

For more information, please contact the Tourism and Products Section, Department of Industry and Tourism.

Tsuchiura City Office (3rd floor), 9-1, Yamato-cyo, Tsuchiura 300-8686

[TEL] 029-826-1111 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlightingext. 2705, 2706

[FAX] 029-823-9220 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting(common)

 

 

問い合わせ先

このページに関するお問い合わせは商工観光課 観光物産係です。

土浦市役所(本庁舎 3階) 〒300-8686 茨城県土浦市大和町9番1号

電話番号:029-826-1111(代) 内線2705・2706

問い合わせフォームはこちら

アンケート

土浦市ホームページをより良いサイトにするために、皆さまのご意見・ご感想をお聞かせください。
なお、この欄からのご意見・ご感想には返信できませんのでご了承ください。

Q.このページはお役に立ちましたか?
印刷する
  • 【アクセス数】
  • 【最終更新日】2016年2月10日
このページの先頭へ戻る
スマートフォン用ページで見る